The State Studies Foundation is a state budgetary institution, which administers financial support for students. The Foundation started its activities in 1993 when the Government of the Republic of Lithuania established the Lithuanian State Science and Studies Foundation, whose primary function was to administer support for the projects of groups of scientists. Until 2008 the Foundation had expanded its functions and had become the major institution administering public funds allocated for science; in 1998 it started issuing loans for students. As of the 1st January 2010 the Foundation operates under new name and regulations.
Our mission - to implement the higher education policies, by ensuring accessibility and quality of higher education, transparent management of the financial support for students using modern technologies and e-services.
The main functions of the State Studies Foundation are as follows:
- Administering State loans and State-supported loans for students;
- Administering Study Scholarships;
- Administering Social Scholarships for students of Lithuanian higher education institutions studying at the first, second or continuous study levels;
- Administering the repayment of all or part of the State funds allocated to cover the cost of studies of State-funded students to the State Budget when, in the cases and in accordance with the procedure prescribed by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, State-funded students who are expelled from a Lithuanian higher education institution or terminate their studies must return the said funds to the State Budget;
- Administering reimbursement of a part of the cost of studies paid over a respective period of studies (which may not exceed the normative cost of studies), in accordance with the procedure and amount set by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, for a part of non-funded students of the first-level or continuous studies who have the best performance record after the first two years (in the event of extended studies - after completing a half of the study programme) and after the remaining years of studies;
- Administering the granting of State support for the studies of children and grandchildren of expatriates and foreigners of Lithuanian descent at Lithuanian schools of higher education in accordance with the procedure prescribed by the Ministry of Education and Science;
- Administering the reimbursement of a part of the cost of studies for persons who fulfilled mandatory initial military service or acomplished basic military training;
- Administering repayment of the funds allocated to targeted funding to the State budget;
- Implementing other measures assigned by the Minister of Education and Science in order to ensure quality and accessibility of higher education.